Friday, October 15, 2021

4 days after my son's birthday

It was about 3:41 on September 18th, 2018 when my life changed forever. I was walking to the bus stop to get my children when my phone rang. The number looked like a state number from DCFS (Department of Children and Family Services). I have a sister that works there so I thought it was her so I answered it. 

I did not recognize the voice on the other end so I quickly put on my professional voice. This unfamiliar voice asked for me by my full name. That sent a million questions running through my mind. Mainly because no one and I mean NO ONE at all calls me my government name. I know I'm a good mom, at least I thought I was. Was this going to be bad news? Had something happened to one of my children? When I get phone calls from certain people or agencies it has a way of shaking me up. So I proceeded to confirm that she had indeed reached Yolanda.

Next she identified who she was and why she was calling. I let her continue. Then she asked me if I would take in the 4 children that were living with my ex. Now let me give you a little background. He and I broke up at that time over 10 years ago. We broke up before my youngest son by him turned one. We have 3 children together and he never helped me with any of them.  He had 4 children by another woman who unfortunately passed away way to soon. 

The crazy thing was I had just seen him that same morning. So naturally I began to wonder what happened. Did he die? Was he in an accident? He looked fine when I saw him that morning. She couldn't give me details but I really didn't care. I just wanted to know if he was dead or alive and I told her I have the right to know that much because he is the father of my kids to and I need to know if I have to tell my kids bad news. She confirmed he was alive and that was good enough for me. 

So I told her I would take the kids. I thought it would be temporary especially since I had no clue what was going on.

 So I finally made it to the bus stop and waited for my kids to get home. When they arrived I told my daughter and my youngest son I don't know what's going on but the kids that live with your dad are coming to stay with us for the night. 

I believe in coping ahead in most situations. So I always let my kids know what's going on to the best of my knowledge. 

Anyway, my daughter couldn't accept not knowing the full story so she texted her older sister. 

Neither one of us were prepared for what her sister texted back...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blending

 One of the biggest challenge we faced as a family was blending it. I was an only child however I grew up in a large family. I was used to s...